Area & Activities
Places to be discovered and enjoyed ….
The name of the area is PENEDÉS, a cava (sparkling wine) and wine area. A visit to one of the many winehouses is worth while and we are happy to call for an appointment for you.
Cycling: bikes for rent for €12 per person per day, including maps and route descriptions.
Hiking: either between the vineyard or in the natural park of the Garraf, without taking the car first. Marked routes from 6 – 17 kms.
Horseriding: tours with English speaking guide.
The big attraction is Barcelona, one of the most popular cities to visit. See ‘LINKS’ for websites that give more information on Barcelona.
We can recommend a bicycle or hiking tour with an English speaking guide. See ‘LINKS‘ for a link to Brood en Tomaat and Baja-Bikes.
Other places to see and things to do:
- Tarragona with its treasured remains of Roman architecture and its quaint, old town centre.
- Montserrat, with its beautiful monastery and the tiny cloister which guards the statue of the Black Madonna.
- Vilafranca del Penedès, where there is a local market on Saturdays. Winemuseum.
- Other villages like Reus, Valls, Montblanc…..
- The Garraf Nature Park, with a variety of interesting routes for hiking or walking.
- The Penedès (visit the wine cellars, cava tasting, and paths which are ideal for walking or cycling).
- Other scenic areas like the Priorat and Montsant (near Tarragona)
- The beaches of Sitges, Vilanova i la Geltrú, Cubelles and other small towns along the coast.
- Golf courses (near Barcelona, Sitges and Tarragona).
- And much more…
Fiestas and festivals:
- First weekend of July: Vijazz, free outdoor jazz concerts, cava and winetasting
- All weekends in July and Augusts: village festivals. First weekend of August: Les Gunyoles (our village), around the 30th of August: Vilafranca del Penedès with spectacular ‘castells’ (human towers).
- First or second weekend October: wine and cava festival in Sant Sadurní d’Anoia.
- Around Chrismas and New Year’s Eve: Pessebre in Les Gunyoles: an outdoor walk along the Chrismas story built up in twelve stages. Very special.
- April – September: every Wednesday and Fridaynight everybody is welcome to visit the ‘castells’ training building. Take something to drink and eat and enjoy the human towers.
When, between or after walking, golfing, cycling or touring around, you simply want to rest and relax, Cal Mestre welcomes its guests back to the natural haven of peace and quiet with friendly hospitality and service.